Thursday, February 25, 2010

Star Trek

OK I'm probably not the best person to be reviewing this film. I'm not nor have I ever been a Star Trek fan. I used to watch it for moments at a time on TV and I thought it was something that you had to "get" and I never "got" it. So in fairness, due to its popularity and positive reviews, I decided to give it a neutral review. This installment, I guess, is the origin story with younger actors playing the versions of themselves. The basic premise is that a cocky and headstrong Kirk teams up with the reserved and wise Spock to take on the evil Nero who hopes to destroy the Enterprise.? So the makeup looks great, as do the special effects, and Abrams does nice work helming action films but I guess I still don't "get" it. I was told I did not need to be a Trekkie to enjoy this but I disagree after watching this.
**1/2